ANPT is the majority shareholder of St James Holdings the entity which owns and will ultimately restore the St James Theatre.
St James Theatre was built in 1928 by Architect Henry Eli White on the site of the former fullers opera house on Auckland's Queen Street. The theatre had been derelict since 2007 and had been suffering from a bad case of demolition by neglect. In the period 2007-2016 the theatre survived three fires and is lucky to still be standing. The property was acquired in Oct 2014 along with the surrounding site and a large precinct rejuvenation project was embarked on which included the construction of a new 42 Level apartment tower over 200 car parks, Two Levels of Queen St Retail and of course incorporated the 'saving of the St James'.
Theatre Project Status: Active: Oct '14 - Feb '16 Design, evaluation, business case, investigations Feb '16 - Detailed Design Commences March '16 Concrete Durability works commenced on wall remediations Sept '16 Resource Consent Granted Dec '16 First stages of buildings consents submitted
Airdale St Cottages
Hiding between some of Aucklands largest buildings in the middle of the city hides this small two storey pair of cottages. Originally Constructed in 1857 but converted into one dwelling in the 1970s this stunning example of real life Auckland for the common folk from early Auckland remains in its original location a mere two minute walk from Aucklands cultural hub of Aotea Square and the Auckland Town Hall. It is beyond a miracle this building has survived being the last vestibule of what it was like to live in part of the rat race of early Auckland. Many of the grand residences of this period do remain but very few examples of the average Aucklanders accomodation do still exist. This property is a tribute to the working class New Zealander, the person on which this country was settled upon.
Project Status: Active: 2013 - ANPT acquired the site 2014 - Site investigations and strategic deconstruction of fabrics begins 2015 - Design Commences and engineering reports generated 2016 - Resource Consent issued for restoration and adaptive re-use of the cottages. Detailed Design commences 2017 - Building Consent Submitted